Sunday, October 07, 2018

Harrison Struttmann


Harrison Struttmann 
February 20 1996 - May 30 1998
Age: 2 years old 


*Story told by mother..*
We were sitting on a park bench and heard a loud crash behind us. I turned, screamed for my nieces to run and lunged for Harrison. There wasn’t enough time. The van grazed two of my nieces but hit Harrison and myself head on. 
I lost consciousness as the van drug me down a rock embankment.

The van stopped when it struck a volunteer fire department boat preventing the van from plunging into the swift Missouri River. Moments later, surrounded by blood, I regained consciousness and saw my leg tangled in the tire.

When I heard the helicopter, I knew the situation was critical. I was told Harrison was transported to the hospital. I lost a lot of blood from the multiple cuts. My mother had to tell me Harrison died.

Slowly the shocking details unfolded. Two children (ages 2 and 3) were left unattended inside a van that was running while their parents stood behind the van talking to relatives. One of the children playing behind the wheel shifted the van into gear. The idle on the van, set higher than normal, caused the van to jump a curb stop and race through the park.



No comments:

Post a Comment